Green buildings which have achieved the Green Star certification in South Africa have been shown to save on average between 30 - 40% energy and carbon emissions each year, and between 20 - 30% potable water each year, when compared to the industry norm.
Green buildings boost our quality of life. Did you know that South Africa is one of the world leaders in green building? We decided to take a look at eco-friendly construction. Are there any benefits of green building? Find out more below.
What is eco-friendly construction?
- Eco-friendly construction is creating a structure which is non-harmful to the environment, and resource-efficient.
- Some of the features that make a building green include using renewable energy (like solar energy) and using materials which are non-toxic, ethical and sustainable.
- Green building materials include thatch and wood. Thatch, a natural insulator, is able to endure all weather conditions. Thatch assists to reduce heat in our South African climate. Wood offers solid insulating structures that are sustainable.
What are some of the benefits of eco-friendly construction?
- Green buildings do incorporate unique construction features which guarantee efficient use of resources like water and electricity.
- According to the Building the Business Case: Health, Wellbeing and Productivity in Green Offices report that was released by the World Green Building Council in October 2016, investing in greener offices can have a dramatic impact on a company’s bottom line by boosting employee productivity and decreasing absenteeism, staff turnover, as well as medical costs.
- Green building strategies are able to assist you in saving energy and reducing operating costs.
- Designers of green buildings try as much as they can to decrease dependency on energy from non-renewable sources like coal. They install solar panels to utilise energy from the sun. They design windows in a way which lets in as much natural light as possible. These methods guarantee that the building uses energy efficiently.
- Do you live in a green building? You can enjoy a lot of health benefits due to the safety of materials used in the construction of a green building.
At FHP, we support eco-friendly construction. We are committed to providing our clients with excellent service at all levels, ensuring that every construction project satisfies our clients’ unique requirements. Contact us today on 011 466 0405 or email email@example.com to learn more about our services.